Monday’s Spectacular Conditions Help Mac Racers Fly to Finish
July 23, 2012 04:48 PM
Monday, 4:30 p.m. CDT
A warm front moved north across Lake Michigan late Sunday night, bringing with it fresh breeze and rejuvenating the sailors after they spent much of yesterday in doldrums along the Manitou Passage. This building southwesterly breeze pushed the already compacted fleet in the 104th Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac, presented by Veuve Clicquot, sailing through to the finish. Spectators snapped postcard-worthy pictures as the cannon fired in rapid recession, celebrating each boat’s finish.
According to Principal Race Officer Janet Crabb, the Mac race committee finished approximately 75 percent of the 326-boat fleet within 12 hours. The close finishes reminded her of the Parade of Boats check-in at the race start in Chicago. "But today instead of the metropolitan cityscape, our finishing boats were painted against the Mackinac Bridge. Both locations are such incredible assets to our race."
The breeze carried the Turbos, Sections 1-3, Farr 40s, Multihulls, and early finishers in Sections 4 and 5 to cross the finish line before 7 a.m. CDT. World-renowned sailor Ken Read, who sailed with Peter Thornton on il Mostro, the Volvo 70 that Read skippered in the 2008-2009 Volvo Ocean Race, admitted he was a bit jealous of the boats flying under the Mackinac Bridge this morning. "That is what I call ‘brochure-perfect’ racing," said Read.
By mid-morning, on-the-water reports indicated 20-25 knots, ensuring some wild rides and smiling faces for those in the 25-strong Tartan 10 fleet, the multiple J boat and Beneteau fleets, as well as Sections 6 – 8.
Lou Sandoval, chairman for this year’s Race to Mackinac, is ecstatic with how the 104th turned out. "Our entire committee worked very hard to ensure a safe, fun race," he said. "I’d like to thank everyone for their dedication and commitment, and especially thank the racers for joining us year after year."
- As You Wish; John Heaton, Wilmette, Ill.
- Tried & True; Robert Foley, Glencoe, Ill.
- Tequila Mockingbird; Chris Duhon, Chicago
- La Temete; Thomas Weber, St. Charles, Ill.
- Das Boot; Jay & Cindy Muller, Chicago
- Spanker; Dennis J McDonnell & James McDonnell, River Forest, Ill.
Cruising 1 / Cruising Division
- Comfortably Numb; Mark Miller, Lake Orion, Mich.
- Freedom; James Cooper, Grosse Pointe, Mich.
- Joint Venture; Harry D Bush, Palatine, Ill.
Cruising 2 / Cruising Division
- Intuition; Tom Kershner, Mark Gillespie, Chris Hynes, Bill Burns, Jenn Macainag; Madison, Wis.
- Blue Chip; Ulrich Noorman, Grand Rapids, Mich.
- Grand Cru; Bob & Donnell Mersereau, Grand Haven, Mich.
- TFWB Relentless; George Petritz, Scott Petritz; Beulah, Mich.
- Amateur; William Fagerstrom, Evergreen Park, Ill.
- Jump; Hank Graziano, Chicago
- Flash Gordon 6; Helmut Jahn, Chicago
- Hot Lips; Christopher Witford, Chicago
- Heartbreaker; Robert Huges, Ada, Mich.
- Buzz; Mark Gurney, Grand Rapids, Mich.
- Pterodactyl; Mark Symonds, Rochester Hills, Mich.
- Sealark; Clark Pellett, Chicago
- Realt Na Mara; Tom Longridan, Joe Longridan; Springfield, Ill.
- Northstar; David Gustman, Wilmette, Ill.
- K III; Irv Kerbel, Lincolnwood, Ill.
- Kashmir; Brummel/Henderson/Mayer, Winnetka, Ill.
- Velocity; Martin Roesch, Elliott City, Md.
- Nosuprise; David Irish, Harbor Springs, Mich.
- Night Moves; Henry E. Mistele, Grosse Pointe, Mich.
- Perseverance; Matthew Songer, Marquette, Mich.
- Hot Ticket; Robert E. Kirkman, Northville, Mich.
- Triceratops; Jonathan & Lori Alvord, Mount Pleasant, Mich.
- Caliente; Michael Steck, Naperville, Ill.
- High Priority; David Shneider, East Lansing, Mich.
- Porocoa; Gene McCarthy, Robert Zeman Jr.; Chicago
- Stripes; Bill Martin, Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Details; Lance Smotherman, Harrison Twp., Mich
- Tsunami Stephen Polk, Bloomfield Hills, Mich.
- Kokomo Wesson Schulz, Traverse City, Mich.\
- Tyrant; Don M. Thinschmidt & Don M. Thinschmidt Jr.; Macatawa, Mich.
- Sufficient Reason; Mitchell Padnos, Tracy Brand; Holland, Mich.
- Mosquito; Dave Radtke, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Power Trip; Paul & James Kraft; Troy, Mich.
- Epic; Ray & Winnie Adams, West Bloomfield, Mich.
- Ticklish; Eric Landman, Grand Haven, Mich.
- Temptation; Bodgan Stojkowski, Chicago
- Vanda III Jack & Jim Tolliver, Jim Mitchell; Glen Ellyn, Ill.
- Sea Raider; Dirk Kruger, Bridgman, Mich.
- Crazy Diamond; Martin Crain, Brookfield, Wis.
- Lady K; Mike Stewart, Muskegon, Mich.
- Challenge; Ray Teborek, Chicago
- Aftershock; William M Newman, Muskegon, Mich.
- Smokum Too; Pete Mather, Thornbury, Ont.
- Fast Tango; Tim Prophit, Grosse Pointe, Mich. (protest pending)
- Velero VII; J. Sammy Barbour Jr., Grosse Pointe, Mich.
- Providence; Jerry & Greg Miarecki, Chicago
- Kutty’s Ark; George Morrissey & Joe McGinnis, Oak Lawn, Ill.
- Odyssey; David Bohl, Whitefish Bay, Wis.
- Retention; Mark & Joni Kroll, Chicago
- Wild Norwegian; Arvid Eisland & Rick Strilky, Glenview, Ill.
- Erica; Brian Kaczor & Michael Kaczor, New Lenox, Ill.
- Imedi; Mark Hauf, Chicago
- Merlin; Jerome D. Sullivan, Bayside, Wis.
- Natalie J; Philip & Sharon O’Neil, Bloomfield Hills, Mich.